...and to think I mastered the careful art of the lj-cut just for gittapet:
Location? Ontario, Canada (and simultaneously, as has become apparent after applying to this community, lost in a tide of my own insurmounatable narcissism)
Favorite series/movies? (minimum - 5, maximum - 10) (Explaining why may help us in the decision making process) (a stone-age dial-up internet connection on my part, coupled w/ a preference for manga over anime in general, make for a below list comprised largely of manga either b/c the anime was cancelled or has me repeatedly *headdesking* over eye-searingly painful 80s-style animation)
1) Berserk (manga): *Claps hands together in devout thanksgiving that Kentaro Miura had the gaul to come up with such a thoroughly twisted, blood-bath of a plot* Gratuitous nudity, gore, and violence aside, this manga’s discussion of the quality of man, the gains and the tolls of mortal ambitions, the contrasting male and female psyches, and the crushing weight of a dream/a strong disposition hooked me from the get-go.
2) Fullmetal Alchemist (either manga or anime): Cue seven deadly sins, play after play on the Flamel/ Ouroborous insignias (which actually inspired me to pick up a bible w/o the intent for a good eye-roll), you’re token axis mundi (and !holyshit! Cue a second bible consultation), picture-perfect character development, allusions to alchemy’s male/female/divine androgyne (gold/ silver/ mercury) trinity and I’ve got me a fandom (Of course, the dual-amputee for a protagonist and unrivaled yaoi potential doesn’t hurt kink-wise either…)
3) Neon Genesis Evangelion (anime because the manga borders on glorified fanfic): Brain go stop when watch.
4) Angel Sanctuary (manga): So we’ve got a healthy dosage of incestuous siblings, hermaphrodites, transvestites, Sodom/Gomorrah references, a fairly accurate angel hierarchy, drug-tripping artwork to rival Lewis Carrol’s, a complete eradication of respect for the gender barrier (ie. females in male bodies and vice-versa), and more bondage than you can shake a stick at. The icing on the cake is this ‘shojo’ title’s tendency to boast more severed limbs and pages caked in blood than the majority of shounen titles I’ve come across.
5) Trigun (manga): Self-explanatory, really… Almost made me rethink my kleptomania. Almost.
*Honourable mentions abound for Generator Gawl, Gravitation, Hellsing, and Ranma ½*
Least Favorite series/movie? All things ‘Kenshin’ (excluding OVAs )
Favorite scene/s from an anime (if you think there's a spoiler, name
the anime, and then type the description afterwards in a white font)? Evangelion’s BIB, in particular, had my brain seeping out of my ears after bearing witness to Misato’s martyr-esque/masochistic tendencies in full…
Also, the voice-acting and animation at the abrupt cut-off of Asuka’s ‘I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you, I’ll kill you’ rant in EoE is def. something I’ll still be attempting to pry out from under my eyelids ten years from now
*BIB- the Big irony bomb (NGE-enslaved know the scene)
Favorite genre of anime? Shounen to boot. Give me action, action, action over a heartfelt, bittersweet romance any day of the week. And while we’re playing favourites, I’d like to give a warm, appreciative hand to all the mangaka out there featuring 2-page spreads of some guy getting his ass handed to him by an over-sized sword, or gratuitous nc-17 content of any kind in their work.
Favorite anime soundtrack? FMA’s Rewrite/ Ready,Steady, Go/ Kesenai Tsumi/ Undo, topped off with overtures that could make even Orland Bloom emote, give it top rank in my book.
What was it that got you hooked on anime? *crosses self* back in the ?sixth? grade I sold my soul to Digimon season 01 (Taichi’s unrivaled ass-kickery had me reduced to a wanton little slave for all things even remotely tied in with the colour orange)
Do you draw or write fan-fic? I wrote once-upon-a-time… before I joined the ranks of active sporkers on fma_spork (whom I intend on nominating for sainthood due to the mass amounts of canon-rape they so devoutly tear apart on a daily basis)
Would you consider yourself an Otaku? If its possible to be a closet!otaku! LIEKWHOA!11!…then yes.
Do you read Manga (or anything similar)? If so, what series is your favorite? (See: ‘fav. Series' response)
Do you attend anime(ish) conventions? If so, have you ever Cos-played? Cosplayed, no. Crossplayed, yes. In an ideal world, I’d walk the streets of downtown Toronto dressed in a black mid-drift bearing top, mini-skirt (also black), and a green palm-tree-esque wig (a la envy/evil incarnate of fma fandom who makes androgyny fun for the whole family)
Do you own any cool anime-based stuff? In spades. Starting with 250+ volumes of manga and ending w/ the eye-searing awesomeness that is pile upon pile of uke!ed doujinshi (Pardon me while I hasten to build a shrine in the divine likeness of all kindred, pervy, yaoi-enslaved fangirls)
How'd you hear about our community? Frantic search for an Eva-discussion/essay-related community on livejournal (or anywhere on the net for that matter). As it turns out, this community pops up after a search for ‘evangelion’ under ‘community interests.’ (I was equally sickened and intrigued to find a comm. like this existed)
Subbed or dubbed(English)? My own select brand of vendetta consisting of me hunting Richard Cox, and Monica Storie down for the sole purpose of inflicting a particularly crude machete to the throat would- in my opinion- place me firmly on the subbed side of the proverbial fence
For one day, and one day only, Non-Ugly Anime has granted you the power to become an anime character. Who are you? At the risk of sounding Mary-Sue-like in any way, shape, or form, I’ll be going with Gatsu of Berserk fame simply because he rules really fucking hard.
Series you are trying to finish right now? Elfen Lied (and by finish I mean start what with school and a social life currently eating up all potential planting-self-in-front-of-comp-for-night
Series that you keep coming back to? Evangelion owing largely to repeated counts of mind-fuckery, Asuka continually owning my soul, and the on-going Shinji debate (ie. hero or anti-hero?.. Which begs the question(*cough* Misato), is it heroic to martyr yourself over an anti-hero?)….etc,etc
Why do you enjoy anime as opposed to other types of "shows"? In layman’s terms, it has substance. Something decidedly lacking in all other mediums of entertainment these days.
If you could take any anime male/female to bed with you for one night, who would it be? Give me twisted, unrepenting, and hopelessly cocky (b/c in my experience, familiarity hardly breeds contempt) and I’ll have the mini-skirt donning deadly sin of Envy to help me satisfy my endless list of kinks. Asuka comes in a close second, knocking Edward Elric (regardless of his horribly, attractive amputee appeal) clear out of the running
Do you watch AMVs? If so, which one is your favorite? ?Tyler’s? Tsumibito no kashou. And yes, I do plan to violently rape ‘Tyler’ for the genius of splicing Placebo’s Protégé Moi and various FMA clips into a single mind-blowing entity
Do you approve of all the anime that is being brought to Cartoon Network? Why or why not? No. Just no. Naruto never particularly peaked my interest in subbed form, then they go and dub it and *bam* I’m praying nightly that CN never rears its head on the Canadian cable block
Anything you would like to say to prove that you're actually an
anime fan, or something to make you stand out to us as far as anime is concerned? Also, what will you bring to this community if accepted? I’ve been known to have Scott Mcneil (ie. the man, the myth, and the legend of American VA ranks) sign my boobs on a routine basis and am well on my way to establishing seiyuu-groupie as a career choice for all the dangerously obsessed otaku out there… Always up for discussions- ones hopefully provoking a semblance of thought- pertaining to any of my listed favs.
Cue year-old pics:
*explanation for close-up shots of my boobs falling out of my shirt. They’re signed by scott mcneil. Enough said.
*Currently in the running for least photogenic person ever. I plan on climbing all the way to the number 1 slot, bitch.*